Monday, March 28, 2011

Trypophobia

Trypophobia is the fear of holes and asymmetrical clusters of small holes, often with things inside. It causes a creepy, itching, crawling feeling.













The reaction I got the class was curiosity. Most of the class had never heard of this phobia and had some questions about it. No one else in class really had this same kind of phobia, but some could relate to the feeling of anxiety that I described when I would look at these images. What I came to realize from this experiment was that the longer I looked at these images, it didn't affect me as much as they did initially.

If I had more time to prepare, I would have brought some of the objects from above into class to pass around to see if any of the class had any reaction to the objects they were holding.

7 comments:

  1. 1:44!
    I didn't stop to scratch an itch, I just couldn't keep watching it. For me, the order of the images didn't get worse and worse. Some of the later ones were much better than earlier ones. I came across this blog when I searched Trypophobia (I know I have it for sure).

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, beat the test.
    the worst thing i found was that poor dying animal :(
    i just felt sorry for it

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't dying, that was a female Surinam toad whose eggs are embedded in her back by male's movements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewww. I just heard of this and looked it up in images. I dont have it but my eyes hurt looking at the images. Incidentally, the pencil sculpture on your blog is made by the fabulous Jennifer Maestre. Im sure she doesnt have it at all. All of her work is like that. Now... I need some brain bleach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why? These images are photoshopped, and disgusting...And you know it. Stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that picture of they eye real or fake???? My husband is obsessd with it and I think its photo shopped crap. We can't find anything on it anywhere. Please help.

    ReplyDelete