Monday, January 10, 2011

Class Day 1

I really had no idea what to really expect going into this class today. I had a friend take this course over the summer and she said it was definitely different compared to any other class she's taken at IUPUI. So with that I went in with an open mind. I was more of an observer today, as I usually am in new situations around new people.

I like that the discussions we had in class today kept going and didn't really stall after one or two comments. This is probably the second class I've been in where we had the discussion of what is art. Because of the nature of this class, being that we are starting to look at things from a different perspective, it was refreshing to hear a different take on what is art. By the end of this class, I came to the conclusion that art isn't something that has to be "thought provoking" or visually appealing which was my basic understanding of the idea of art. Art is a way of communicating one's idea to an audience and it can be communicated in any form.

By the end of class, we got our first assignment: to take an egg and do whatever we want with it. Which I suppose may sound relatively easy, but for me this is one of the more difficult assignments I've been given. I've always liked getting assignments with boundaries and knowing what I can and can't do for a project. Open-ended assignments is definitely something I have struggled with because I never know which direction I should go in and I always hate the idea that I might do something "wrong." Although, in this class there is no "right" or "wrong," so I shouldn't worry and I just need to open my mind and accept this creative challenge. I can't wait to see what I come up with!  

No comments:

Post a Comment