Saturday, February 5, 2011

Breaking Rules

So for this assignment, we are to take a rule from our field of study and break it. Simple enough I suppose.

 The rule I decided to break was a design rule: Don't mix too many fonts. Whenever I'm designing something, I always want to make it as perfect as possible and I cannot for the life of me decide on one or two fonts easily. I will go through many, many font choices before I reluctantly choose one and always wonder if that was the best choice possible. So for this assignment, I'm going to make a simple graphic and go nuts picking fonts. And hey... it could look cool, right?

For this graphic, I decided to just pick lyrics from a favorite song (It's Beginning To Get To Me - Snow Patrol). I picked random fonts for some words while others kind of I started to pick out on my own. The poster itself isn't bad looking. I actually like it from "love" on down, which I started to pick out the fonts more carefully at that point seeing as the words kind of needed certain fonts to get it's point across. At the top, I wasn't as careful in picking out the fonts. In fact, I just picked random fonts. In the real world, you shouldn't do this. That's why there is a rule. Because I can't back up my decision in I picked the fonts for the top half of the poster. There is no reason why I did that. But the bottom half I could say that towards the end I picked those fonts because it seemed heaviest and brought more emphasis to the words. This poster is quite chaotic really. It could have made more of an impact if the fonts were limited and carefully picked out.

List of fonts, if you want them:
folks bold - We
the king and queen font - need
minion pro - to
[ank]* - feel
century gothic - breathless
didot - with
LT Oksana - love
Neutra display - &
the maple origins - not
arial - collapse
base 05 - under
cacavia01- its
ChunkFive - weight

No comments:

Post a Comment